Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thru His Eyes


Becoming a parent changed my life forever. A whole new world rich with emotions that I never knew existed was suddenly revealed to me, and I am eternally grateful for this blessing so cherished now that I can't imagine my life without it.

My son will soon be 20 months old, and each day is filled with new and exciting adventures for him. He is at the stage where he learns so much so quickly, and simply wondering around the house or out in the yard is like an expedition of knowledge where he is bombarded with new discoveries. The simple sound of dropping a rock into the water bucket brings pleasure to him… and to me as I observe.

I guess every parents wonders what goes on inside the small head of their growing child. I try to think back to my earliest memories for some reference to what he might be thinking. Of course I don't remember being 20 months old, but I can remember select experiences from around age 3. I can't wait for him to be able to talk more so that he can communicate his mystical world to me. You can bet that I will be hanging on his every tender word.

I make a lot of mistakes as a parent – I'm still learning this new role everyday myself. I do hope, however, that I will never make the mistake of forgetting just how special and how precious a child's life really is, and also how fortunate I am to be able to share the privilege with my loving wife in caring for his needs as he continues his journey toward whatever plan that God has in store for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment